Type 2 diabetics need to limit the use of real sugar. Luckily, there are a number of sugar replacements for diabetics in the form of zero and low-carbohydrate sweetners.
Many sugar replacements have received negative press. Over time, though, no credible research has shown that using artificial sweeteners leads to illness; some people have reported mild stomach or head pain.
The five FDA-approved “non-nutritive sweeteners” are saccharin, aspartame, acesulfame potassium, sucralose and neotame. You may find other sugar replacements, but they are marketed as dietary supplements -- which are not regulated for safety by the FDA.
1. Agave Nectar
2. Sweet 'N Low Sugar Substitute
This is a low-carbohydrate sugar alternative.
1 packet of Sweet 'N Low (saccharin) contains 3 grams of carbohydrate, making it a low-carbohydrate sugar substitute.
3. Superose Liquid Sweetener
- Saccharin (FDA approved) sweetens this product, which contains 0.25 grams of carbohydrate per packet. Consider it a zero-carbohydrate alternative sweetener option.
- It is sold in granulated (packets and larger containers) and liquid form.
- It can be used in baking.
4. Sugar Twin
- Contains saccharin (FDA approved) and zero carbohydrate.
- It comes in liquid and powder form and can be used in baking.
- Made from stevia leaves, this product contains zero carbohydrate.
- It is being investigated for FDA approval and has been used in other countries for centuries as a sweetener.
- It comes manufactured in liquid and powdered forms and can be used in baking. (Available under several brand names.)
Stevia is also the sweetening agent in:
- PureVia Zero Calorie Sweetener
- Sweet Leaf Dietary Supplement Plus Fiber
- Truvia Nature's Calorie-Free (1 packet contains 3 grams of carbohydrate, so this one is a low-carbohydrate sugar substitute -- not a zero-carb choice).
6. Splenda No Calorie Sweetener
- Contains sucralose (FDA approved) and zero carbohydrate.
- Splenda comes granulated in a variety of packaging, including both white and brown sugar baking forms.
Splenda is also the brand of sucralose used to make 2 other alternative sweeteners:
- Liquid Sucralose by Anabolic Innovations
- Liquid Sucralose by Healthy Cheat Foods
7. Smoky Mountain Sweetener
- Made from saccharin (FDA approved) and contains zero carbohydrate.
- This comes in liquid form and can be used in baking.
8. Our Family Sweetener Saccharin
- 1 packet contains 0.25g carbohydrate, so this can be considered a zero-carbohydrate alternative sweetener option. (FDA approved)