Each of these low carb vegetables provides only 5 grams of carbohydrate and approximately 25 calories per 1/2 cup cooked or 1 cup raw serving size:
- artichokes / artichoke hearts
- beans - green, wax, Italian
- bean sprouts
- brussels sprouts
- mixed vegetables (without corn, peas or pasta)
- mushrooms (all types)
- onions (white, yellow, green)
- pea pods
- peppers (all types)
- salad greens (endive, escarole, lettuce, romaine, spinach)
- squash (yellow summer, zucchini, eggplant, spaghetti)
Diabetics can benefit from eating more low carb vegetables due to the low fat but high vitamin, mineral and fiber content. To avoid getting bored with your vegetables, try buying a different vegetable off of this list every time you go grocery shopping. Check with your doctor or dietitian about whether you should avoid any of these vegetables due to other health conditions you have or medications you take.
Read up on low carb vegetable recipes and tips on how to work more vegetables into your meals.