The Ontario government is declaring war on diabetes by allocating $741 million dollars towards diabetes education and care.
According to a press release the diabetes strategy will focus on prevention, management and treatments for diabetes.
- Online information and educational tools
- Better access to insulin pumps and supplies
- Expanded chronic kidney disease services
- Easier access to bariatric surgery
- Educational campaigns to raise awareness
The government will fund insulin pumps and supplies for more than 1300 adults with type 1 diabetes. Insulin pumps can cost upwards to $7,000 not including the monthly supplies needed to operate the pump.
There are 900,000 people in Ontario with diabetes, both type 1 and type 2. This number is up 69% from 10 years ago.Photo courtesy of Stockbyte/Getty Images