1. Health

Ontario, Canada Helps Pay for Insulin Pumps and More

By July 23, 2008

The Ontario government is declaring war on diabetes by allocating $741 million dollars towards diabetes education and care.

According to a press release the diabetes strategy will focus on prevention, management and treatments for diabetes.

Services include:

• Online information and educational tools
  • Better access to insulin pumps and supplies
  • Expanded chronic kidney disease services
  • Easier access to bariatric surgery
  • Educational campaigns to raise awareness

The government will fund insulin pumps and supplies for more than 1300 adults with type 1 diabetes. Insulin pumps can cost upwards to $7,000 not including the monthly supplies needed to operate the pump.

There are 900,000 people in Ontario with diabetes, both type 1 and type 2. This number is up 69% from 10 years ago.

Photo courtesy of Stockbyte/Getty Images
Comments
July 24, 2008 at 12:34 am
(1) Wm. GHray says:

July 24, 2008 at 1:44 pm
(2) t1 mom says:

I’m disapointed to read that they aren’t giving everyone with t1 diabetes an insulin pump. Just 1300 adults get one? Here in the USA – presuming you have private insurance – you can generally get an insulin pump AND most of the supplies are covered. (We have Oxford, which I consider to be rather poor insurance.) The pumps are expensive but it is the supplies that really cost money. My son changes his pump site every other day, at a cost of approx $12/each. Insulin is $70 a bottle and only lasts 2-3 weeks. Test strips and ketone strips are approx $1 each…. I count our blessings that it is mostly covered by our relatively poor insurance. Sounds like things are worse in Canada….

July 24, 2008 at 2:20 pm
(3) J says:

Canada as well as other countries which offer “free” medical do so with much scurinty. These benefits are usually only offered to the young and very healthy middle age. Appointments and operations/treatments are scheduled months ahead no matter how serious the malady.

July 24, 2008 at 2:29 pm
(4) Helen C says:

I am a Senior in Ontario who uses a pump. I have and am fortunate that my husband’s insurance pays for 80% of my costs. It will be quite a relief when the government will take over. I believe 1300 pump users is a ball park figure and will change when more adults take advantage of this availability. I’m sure the pump people will be happy. All in all the medicare system here is quite good for diabetics.

July 25, 2008 at 9:57 pm
(5) Kirsty says:

I am a 22yr old type 1 diabetic diagnosed at 16. Because I am a full time student I am still under my moms health insurance which does not cover pumps and she works at a hospital with “top” health insurance. I have wanted a pump for years and can not afford it, but lets face it unless you are extremely wealthy you cant afford it! A pump would save me from at least 1700 injections a year. I feel as though no one understands this disease, its severity, the differences between the two types (which is pretty big) and the toll it takes on its victims. I just hope that i will qualify for it.

July 28, 2008 at 10:04 am
(6) Getachew Yimer says:

It is time to help others who are in diabetic cases. Please help me how I could got Insuline freely. In our country it is hard to get it freely. Monthly I spent about $200.
Thank you.

July 30, 2008 at 10:47 pm
(7) Tina Propper says:

there seems to be a lot of misunderstanding of canadian medical care-by americans-i am diabetec and all my supplies drs. apts etc and tests such as ekg,blood tests everything is covered and if u spend more then x amount of your income on drugs there is aprogram that coveres all your needs free.

August 8, 2008 at 4:10 am
(8) Elizabeth Machado says:

Hi there!!!!!! I would love to be one of the “LUCKY” people with type 1 diabetes to be eligible for an insulin pump. I am 41 yrs old and have had this horrible disease since I was 12 yrs young. Please email or phone with the hoops that need to be jumped. My number is (807) 577-5570. Sincerely, a person in need. Thank you for your time.

August 8, 2008 at 10:54 am
(9) Deb Manzella RN says:

Hi Elizabeth,

I don’t know a lot about Canadian healthcare, but probably a good place to start would be with your doctor. He or she might be able to tell you how to proceed.

Here’s a few websites I found, too, that might help.

Best of luck to you.

August 8, 2008 at 10:58 am
(10) diabetes says:

Hi Elizabeth,

I don’t know a lot about Canadian health care, but probably a good place to start is with your doctor. He or she might be able to tell you how to proceed.

Here’s a few websites that might help too.

Best of luck to you.

August 8, 2008 at 9:05 pm
(11) Dave says:

I am a 44 year old type 1 diabetic since the age of 17. Like many of you, I looked into getting a pump but was discouraged by the cost. I have been very successful at managing my illness using multiple daily injections before it actually became the standard of care and being active in many sports. This is my concern regarding a pump. I still play goal in hockey, still downhill ski and still do a lot of mountain biking (Not a lot of room between the trees sometimes)and my concern is if these activities will be difficult to participate in while wearing a pump or do most people just take it off and then adjust dosing somehow?

October 23, 2008 at 4:04 pm
(12) Doug says:

It is not up to our Ontario government to say who is elegible for an insulin pump and who is not. All diabetics who feel the pump can work for them can get one and for most all supplies are covered by insurance. All doctor and hopital visits are covered by our national health plan, no out of pocket expenses for any Canadian citizen.

November 5, 2008 at 9:46 pm
(13) Jane says:

I would love a pump for our son he has been a diabetic type 1 since age 3 and is also developmentally delayed..it’s been a struggle with his many in jections a day… He is now 24 but i think his quality of life would be so much better witha pump…

February 12, 2009 at 6:01 pm
(14) Charles says:

I have extra supplies for a minimed 522 or 512. They are for sale but less than half the price of the supplies you buy. Please email me if you want to set something up. these are brand new boxes never been opened but they probably will go fast.

Charles

March 2, 2009 at 9:22 pm
(15) shevaun says:

charles what is your e-mail?
e-mail me if you still have those pump supplies please.
discoingshevaun@yahoo.com
thanks!

August 19, 2009 at 7:54 pm
(16) Josh says:

I have a son that is type one diabetes this put a real strain on our family my son has played very competitve in baseball since he was 4 years old he is 9 years old now he hopes to one day play pro baseball but his situtuation puts a struggle on him we are a working family with not alot of money but I would give my life for him if I could take his place all my son wants is a insulin pump if anybody that reads this could help us god bless you or could lead us to somebody with a heart please help me and my son email Josh.bulkoski@timeoutsystems.com

December 27, 2009 at 6:38 am
(17) I. Need Supplies says:

“(1) Wm. GHray says:
All we hear is the government is spending money for “treatments” of diseases. Why don’t they find the cure?”

If they ever find a cure, it will never be released. If it were to be released, it would destroy a multi-gazillion dollar business.

Greed rules this disease, too.

I wish that some of the decision makers have to beg for their life sustaining supplies.