1. Health

Is there a Type 3 Diabetes?

By September 30, 2007

Research has proven that the pancreas is not the only place that insulin is produced. It is also produced in the brain. According to a study from Northwestern University, there is a link between Alzheimer's disease and brain insulin resistance.

Insulin receptors in the brain are sensitive to particles known as ADDL's. When someone has Alzheimer's there are accumulations of ADDL's which appear to be responsible for deteriorating synapses in the brain. ADDL's also cause disruption of the insulin receptors in the brain, which makes them insulin resistant.

Scientists feel that this is a "brain-specific" form of diabetes. Although it's not specifically called "type 3" in the abstract of the study that appeared in the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology Journal (FASEBJ) the research does support the current theory that Alzheimer's may someday be considered type 3 diabetes.

Comments
October 1, 2007 at 12:40 pm
(1) John Cargile says:

I am writing a novel about a character who is diagnosed with early Alzheimer’s disease. My question is, can people diagnosed with the full-scale disase dream? Are there any tests which you know that have been performed on the brain of a someone with the illness showing them in a dream state?

October 1, 2007 at 4:04 pm
(2) LRKB says:

I am a diabetic who has type 1 diabetes. I’ve never known Alzheimer’s Disease and Diabetes could be linked that way. I also work with Residents who have Alzheimer’s Disease.

October 1, 2007 at 5:32 pm
(3) Deb says:

Hi John,

I’m not sure if people with Alzheimer’s experience a dream state, but I’ve had experience with end stage Alzheimer patients who suffer from hallucinations.

Here is a link to the Alzheimer’s Association. You might be able to find out more information there. http://www.alz.org/

Good luck on your novel.

Deb Manzella RN

October 2, 2007 at 11:51 am
(4) AZDesertRat says:

Is this the LADA that this is referred to? I am a LADA, late onset type 1.

October 2, 2007 at 11:22 pm
(5) Anne Mountifield says:

I find this idea very interesting. Especially since there is so many in my family with type 2. We also have alziemers.My fathers sister had alziemers.My Mother, Oldest Brother, Older Sister,and I also have type 2. My Father died of cancer, Mother died of cancer, Brother died of cancer, and my sister died of cancer. I have had an operation to remove my uterous and a tumer the size of a cantolope. I have also had tumors taken off my brain. But I have memory loss and am losing more each day it seems. I am interested in this and will watch for more information as it is found. thankyou. Anne

October 4, 2007 at 8:34 am
(6) keepavision says:

I’ve had low blood sugar episodes since puberty, often multip[le times a day. No, I don’t drink alcohol.I don’t think clearly during those times and my memory at 44 is now very poor.I’ve often wondered over the years if these low blood sugar are having a negative long-term impact on my brain.Could this be any relation to the “type 3″ theroy?Thank you, Melanie

October 9, 2007 at 1:30 pm
(7) Kathie says:

LADA diabetes is NOT type 3, it is commonly referred to as type 1.5. It is similar in physical characteristics to Type 1, however is late onset. LADA appears usually as an autoimmune problem, the immune system attacks and kills the islet cells that produce insulin so most LADA diabetics are obviously insulin dependent.

October 11, 2007 at 1:27 am
(8) karen jhoy sanchez says:

im so amaze of what you said about the topic of diabetes,keep up the good work,there are a lot of people who will learned about your article, just keep it up bye

October 25, 2007 at 4:48 pm
(9) Kevin says:

I think we need to rethink the whole numerical naming thing before we rush to tag the Alzheimer’s connection with the next number in line. I wrote about this on back in Sept

July 13, 2008 at 10:09 am
(10) Guest says:

My husband was diagnosed with Type 3 diabetes after taking Chantix. The doctor said that it may have been the cause. He was fine and after he finished the starter pack he got really sick. It was very quick. Loss of vision, chest pains, bad taste in the mouth,blurred vision fatigue…and his sugar reading was 890 when he was admitted in the ER. I think Chantix does something to the brain since so many people are going nuts off the stuff and it does make since to me that the brain is part of the diabetes disease. Be careful what meds you are taking.

July 27, 2008 at 1:23 am
(11) courtney zevios says:

ok wrong im 15 years old and last year i stared getting very very ill, and i dropped in the middle of the street and was rushed to Childrens hospital, after a long expierment they had found TYPE 3 diabetes. its called modies (i think thts how you spell it).when i was first diagnosed with diabetes, i was type 2 or insulin dependent, if you need more information i have a lot of information.

July 27, 2008 at 1:31 am
(12) courtney zevios says:

umm in my previous comment i meant to say my firt diagnosis was when i was in 5th grade and it was type 1 not type 2, sorry.

November 22, 2008 at 2:29 pm
(13) Elizabeth says:

I’m researching a book about childhood diabetes so let me see if I can clarify for courtney.

Type 1 is an autoimmune disease. That means your immune system starts killing off the cells in your pancreas that make insulin, by mistake. It’s most often found in children.

Type 1.5 or LADA is like Type 1, only it develops in adults, not children, and sometimes is mistaken for Type 2.

Type 2 diabetes is diet related and occurs most often in people who are overweight and who eat food high in sugars and refined carbohydrates (basically, junk food). In Type 2, insulin is still being made in the pancreas, but either there’s not enough to do the job, OR there’s enough, but it can’t get through to the cells (a condition called insulin resistance). Sometimes both problems occur together.

Type 3 diabetes is when a person who has either Type 1 or Type 1.5 develops Type 2–in other words, a person who can’t make his or her own insulin and must inject insulin because of an autoimmune disorder ALSO becomes insulin resistant because of poor diet and too little exercise.

Insulin resistance can be cured by eliminating junk food and eating a balanced diet along with regular exercise (which, needless to say, will also help reduce weight). There’s no cure for autoimmune disease that destroys the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas.

Does that help?

December 12, 2008 at 12:47 pm
(14) travis says:

is the typa 3 worst and dose it have more efficency to be spread

October 19, 2009 at 11:26 am
(15) Robb says:

In your piece you mention something called “ADDL” yet you don’t point out what that is.

October 22, 2009 at 9:30 pm
(16) diabetes says:

Hi Robb,

You’re right, I didn’t mention that. Here’s the quote from the abstract of the study, explaining what ADDLs are: “Here we show that signal transduction by neuronal insulin receptors (IR) is strikingly sensitive to disruption by soluble A[beta] oligomers (also known as ADDLs)”