What are the healthiest choices? Using an online nutrition website, like About.com's Calorie Count, can make things easier. I researched some breakfast choices using the information from Calorie Count to compare different foods to see which breakfast is the healthiest.
A simple breakfast such as an egg, toast and breakfast meat, can vary greatly in calories, fat grams and carbs. How do different options compare?
A So-so Breakfast:
- 1 fried egg: 90 calories, 7 grams of fat and 0.4 carbs.
- 1 slice cinnamon swirl toast: 170 calories, 2.0 grams of fat and 33 carbs.
- Sausage patty: 230 calories, 22 grams of fat, and 1.0 carbs
A Good Breakfast:
- 1 poached egg: 71 calories, 5.0 grams of fat, 0.4 carbs
- 1 slice white toast: 64 calories, 0.9 grams of fat, 12.0 carbs
- 3 slices bacon: 103 calories, 7.9 grams of fat, 0.3 carbs
This breakfast adds up to 238 calories, 13.8 grams of fat, 12.7 carbs.
A Better Breakfast:
- 1 serving Egg Beaters: 30 calories, 1.0 grams of fat, 1.0 carbs
- 1 slice whole wheat toast: 87 calories, 1.2 grams of fat, 14.5 carbs (2.6 grams of fiber makes this a better choice than white toast)
- 1 serving turkey bacon: 52 calories, 4.2 grams of fat, 0.3 carbs
The Best Breakfast
- 1 egg white omelet: 16 calories, 0.1 grams of fat, 0.2 carbs
- 1 slice mixed grain toast: 75 calories, 1.2 grams of fat, 12.3 carbs
- 1 slice of ham: 46 calories, 2.4 grams of fat, 1.1 carbs
This breakfast adds up to 137 calories, 3.7 grams of fat, 13.6 carbs.*If toast is buttered, add 36 calories and 4.1 grams of fat to your breakfast total.
Check out more food choices using Calorie Count, and build more healthful meals.
BEST BREAKFAST CHOICES
|FIND A HEALTHY BREAKFAST|
|1 egg, fried||1 egg, poached||1/4 cup egg beaters||1 egg white omelet|
|1 slice cinnamon raisin bread||1 slice white toast||1 slice whole wheat toast||1 slice mixed grain toast|
|1 sausage patty||3 slices bacon||3 slices turkey bacon||1 slice ham|