Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 pound whole wheat pasta
- 2-3 cloves garlic (or more if you like) sliced thin
- 1/2 cup sliced mild onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup sliced sweet peppers (green, red, yellow and/or orange)
- and virtually any other vegtables you would like to use
- frozen green beans, canned baby corn, and frozen spinach are just some ideas
- 1/2 - 1 cup fat free canned chicken broth (or vegetable broth for a vegetarian dish)
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives (or canned black olives)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp. fresh basil chopped (or 1 tsp. dried)
- grated romano cheese for sprinkling on top
Put a large kettle of water on to boil for the pasta. Add a pinch of salt to the pot. (If you are watching your salt intake, omit the salt) While the water is coming to a boil, slice the vegetables. When the water is boiling, put your pasta in it. Cook for the amount of time recommended on the box.
While the pasta is cooking, put 1/2 cup broth in a large frying pan. When it is hot, put the vegetables in the pan. Stir frequently, making sure that the vegetables don't stick. If the broth evaporates, add more to keep the vegetables from burning. Cook the veggies over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until the pasta is done.
Drain the pasta. Add 1/2 cup more broth to the veggies, also add the salt (if desired), pepper, basil and olives. Add the drained pasta to the veggies and toss to mix.
Sprinkle with grated Romano cheese and a little more black pepper. Serve with a green salad and fresh, crusty rolls.
Note: This recipe is very flexible. Feel free to use any vegetables that you would like. Experiment with the seasonings, too. Adding shredded lemon zest and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice adds a nice Greek touch.
Serves six to eight people.