1. Health

Think You Might Have Type 2 Diabetes? Here's What to Look For...

By October 21, 2009

Although 24 million people in the U.S. have diabetes, it's estimated that another 57 million people don't even know that they have it. Although there are definite symptoms to look for, many people either don't experience them, or they are so mild that they go unnoticed.

Be aware of the symptoms of type 2 diabetes. Frequent urination, excessive thirst, unexplained weight loss, fatigue and blurred vision are five of the signs. Read here for more information on symptoms, diagnosis and treatments of type 2 diabetes...

Photo courtesy Altrendo Images/Getty Images

Comments
October 22, 2009 at 1:49 am
(1) Sally says:

Unquenchable thirst, frequent urination, unexpected weight loss, fatigue, extreme hunger and blurred vision are all symptoms of type 2 diabetes,,, This is what has been listed for symptoms for years, why is no one telling us what has been discovered since this news of many years ago? How about sore feet? boils? yeast infections? frozen shoulder?,,,,
What really gets me is I had a yeast infection once in my life and started getting boils, and I had sore feet for a very long time before I realized I could not beat it and I had to go see my doctor because I could not walk anymore and could not sleep because the pain was keeping me awake. I thought it was because I was on a midnight shift for so long and never thought it to be neuropathy caused by diabetes.
Till date I still have none of the symptoms you list (three years after diagnosis) and by talking to many others on line and around my town I have come to find a lot of those symptoms are found in most after you see lots of other symptoms and ignore them too long.
My mother has no symptoms before or after diagnosis only a blood test told her she had the condition.
The boils and yeast infection never came back after I learned what was causing it and gave up white products but I was too late to deal with the neuropathy and I will have this problem now for the rest of my life. I wish these items were listed because I would not have tried to be the tough one and GET OVER IT if I had known they were symptoms of diabetes. This list needs to be updated to include what we are starting to discover is part of this deck of cards and people need to know if something changes suddenly it too could be a sign.
Blurred vision??? that is a symptom that is found in people who have had diabetes a very long time untreated or after many years of treatment and aging as far as I am concerned. And thirst and frequent urination,,, that is when the kidneys are already affected is it not?
I had many things happening to me for at least a few years before I was diagnosed and now all of them are under control except for the neuropathy and still no other symptoms, I expect to see some of those a long way down the road and I hope others will look at things that are happening to them and decide not to tough it out. Anyone here even know what neuropathy is? Funny thing is I found out by doing research that few sites talked about it but you had to know where to look and now there are forums on it and many of the unmentioned symptoms that many will say they had before they knew, that are not on posters and other medical sites.
I would like to see updated lists that will prepare us because I feel that when you say 20 million people dont even know they have prediabetes this might just be why. Thank you.

October 22, 2009 at 12:41 pm
(2) laura says:

I agree that some of the lesser publicized symptoms should get more attention. I had unexplained sore and swollen feet, ankles and legs (no, I wasn’t pregnant) and had the more common constant thirst, frequent urination etc. Neuropathy? Yes, I’ve known about that for years. It often develops after the person has had diabetes for a while but there are other causes as well. My mother has severe neuropathy in her hands and fingers. It has weakened the muscles and given her pain and a feeling of tingling. Frequently, with neuropathy comes a lessening of sensitivity in the fingers which makes certain things difficult, like reading Braille. Sometimes there are treatments that can help. My mother has been treated with some kind of chemotherapy but the symptoms come back so she has to continue treatment and physical therapy. She also has to be careful not to burn her hands or ignore cuts, scrapes and scratches for obvious reasons. Her neuropathy is not a result of diabetes, which she doesn’t have, but came after she had a long bout in the hospital with a rare form of meningitis. But the results are the same.
Another symptom that is rarely discussed is excessively dry or itchy skin. I had that one too but never would have associated it with diabetes. It was only after I got some of the more obvious symptoms and then started having episodes of hypoglycemia that I reluctantly went to the doctor and got the diagnosis I figured I’d get. Had I known to look for additional symptoms as well, it might have been discovered earlier.

October 23, 2009 at 5:33 pm
(3) Anna Farrar says:

I was very amazed when I was diagnosed with T2.
I had NO symptoms at all – however 1 year before
I had a letter following a blood test to say I was borderline. When I went to see another specialist about an unconected problem he said
‘rubbish you either are or are not a diabetic and you are not’ – So I left feeling happy and did not make any changes to my life style or eating habbits.

One year on and I was diagnosed and told by my practice nurse I would never be able to control it by diet alone – I insisted on 3 months for me to get it under control – 3 months later bloods down to lower normal! Don’t let anyone tell you you can’t untill you have tryed.

But if you are told you are borderline treat it as serious – make changes by stepping up exercise, improve diet, get the wieght off, and hopfully you will avoid being diagnosed as a diabetic – a life sentence of special eating habits, drugs and dreadful complications.

October 24, 2009 at 3:28 am
(4) Sally says:

I forgot about the itchy skin, I never had it and still dont but have also heard of others who did for long periods of time before they knew they were diabetic.
When I was diagnosed Neuropathy had three known causes in most of the material I could find, back injury, diabetes and aids and now it has so many know causes, exposure to aluminum and spinal diseases of many kinds and even a tick bite leaving lyme disease. It is a silent disease and is often unbelieved to be real because for the most part the only symptom a person can show is the pain they say they have until deformities start to show up, some due to inability to walk properly or use hands properly. My range of motions have been so restricted that now a physio evaluator can see different changes like my arches have fallen and one foot does not move like the other and reduced strengths in hands and feet with an obvious limp. My work place fired me over it, because even tho they did not believe I had any problems and their ordered physio exam prooved it they still did not want to hear about it. I sure do wish I knew when it started, maybe I could have saved my job too.

October 25, 2009 at 3:47 pm
(5) Lisa says:

I am very interested by the comments of how the lesser known symptoms can be overlooked and ignored. I think that yeast infections can be a huge warning sign that blood sugars are out of whack, yet they are often only viewed as a gynecological problem and not intestinal. http://www.yeast-infection-answers.com discusses the link between diabetes and yeast infections in more depth. I sometimes wonder how many candida sufferers, may be undiagnosed type 2 diabetic??

October 26, 2009 at 2:06 pm
(6) Alexandrine says:

I’ve never been diagnosed with Type II. However, it runs in my family. Our bodies gives us red flags. I was diagnosed with PCOS. This involves insulin resistance – pre-diabetes (afterall insulin is a hormone.) Other red flags prior to Type 2 diagnosis – gestational diabetes when you’re pregnant. Oh, gaining weight in your stomach. Even when I weighed within the correct BMI, I could never have a flat stomach. This is a sign of diabetes.