1. Health

Which Glucometers Topped Our Poll?

By November 8, 2007

Results of last month's informal poll are in! The topic was "Which Glucometer Do You Use?" There were ten choices of the most common glucometers on the market.

• Accu Check - Roche
  • Ascensia - Bayer
  • Control - U.S. Diagnostics
  • FreeStyle - Abbott Labs
  • One Touch - LifeScan
  • Precision Xtra - Abbott Labs
  • Prestige IQ - Home Diagnostics
  • Prodigy - Diagnostic Devices Inc.
  • Sidekick - Home Diagnostics
  • Other - for any brand not included in the list

Almost 400 people took the poll and the answers were mainly divided between four different brands of glucometer. The winning brand was the One Touch by LifeScan with 140 votes. The runner-up was the Accu Check by Roche with 110 votes. The Freestyle by Abbott Labs took third place with 61 votes and fourth place goes to the Ascensia by Bayer with 33.

All four of the meters offer convenience, accuracy and less pain with testing. Smaller amounts of blood with the option of using sites other than fingers helps raise the comfort level. Fast test times and easy of handling also plays a part in which glucometer people chose.

What do you like about your glucometer? What don't you like? Click the comment button at the end of this article to tell us how you feel about your glucometer.

Visit the poll...

More from your diabetes guide...

Photo courtesy of Stockbyte/Getty Images

Comments
November 8, 2007 at 10:36 am
(1) kevin says:

Thanks for validating our own analysis of the meter options for patients! We performed similar research about a year ago and determined that LifeScan’s meters and test strips were the best fit for our next generation ( Automated Diabetes Management System incl wireless devices. We use these GlucoMON wireless connectivity devices in patient management and educational programs and it’s critical that the data is accurate and the devices are easy to use by everyone.

November 8, 2007 at 11:57 am
(2) Accuracy is Important (in both meters and claims about them)! says:

Kevin,

The poll says nothing about which meter is “the best fit”. It simpy asked “What Kind of Glucometer Do You Use?” so among the people who bothered to answer the question One Touch by Lifescan is used the most.

While it’s possible that One Touch lead the results because it is a better meter (whatever that means), it could just as easily be because: 1) Lifescan spends more money advertising, 2) sells their meters more cheaply, or 3) has more distribution arrangements with doctors and hospitals. It could even be something as silly as 4) the marketing of the One Touch meters in a variety of colors. Color choice is a fun option, but it should be one of the last reasons (if not THE last reason) to choose a specific meter.

The highest ranking in such a poll (even if it were scientifically done, which this one was not), says only that more people use One Touch, nothing else.

November 8, 2007 at 4:41 pm
(3) diabetes says:

Hi Kevin,

The poll was not meant to be an endorsement of one product over another. More it was an opportunity for people to see who is using what and to post comments about how they feel about their meters.

I took the liberty of editing out your links. They are not allowed in comments on About.com websites.

Thanks for your input, however. We welcome all opinions.

Deb Manzella RN

November 8, 2007 at 7:00 pm
(4) Karon says:

I am a 61 year old female diabetic who has used the One Touch for the past 6 months, and I think it’s wonderful. It takes all of 5 seconds to get a reading, requires a very small amount of blood, and I can use each lancet safely multiple times. I am NOT computer literate, but the Ultra (my model) came with a USB cable and software and very easy instructions to install and use. Now I take a print out to my doctor each visit, and this a) becomes a part of my medical file and b) is a tool he uses as we monitor my diabetes. I don’t know about spending money to advertise, but I imagine Life Scan spent some to develop this program for the One Touch, which I think is great! p.s. I didn’t vote in the poll: didn’t know about it!

November 9, 2007 at 2:43 am
(5) Brenda says:

I am a 61 yaer old with type 2. I use the AccuChek Ultra Compact by Roche. It has been my meter since the beginning, 4 years now. I have tried others and found they just do not pack well leaving no place for used Lancets when you on the go. Th AccuChek and its case are so contained. The used lancets go in the canister that the drum came out of and that is where I also put my used strips on the go. The lancet device is stored on the meter and I use it without taking it off. This makes this meter and Lancet device an all in one, with a case that has a place for everything. It is a not a little device but it works so nicely with data stored for review of recent readings. Then with its infared to send the data to a Palm type device and or to download it into Roche’s diabetes management software, the self management of data and decisions as well as presenting data to the doctor makes it a complex yet simple to use device. I have tried other meters. After using the drum, another feature of the Accu Chek Compact Ultra that holds my strips then releases them without me handling them is wonderful and convenient. With other meters the handling of each strip and a seaparate lancet is for fumbling and dropping things. Out at dinner, I can do this with in my lap so easily that most people around me have no idea I am testing. YOu ca prbably tell that I am a diehart user of this meter and look the reports I can do anytime on my Palm Treo or from my PC. I have several years of data in my TREO and can quickly analysis not just my diabetes, but also my bloos pressure and A1C history.

July 2, 2008 at 2:07 pm
(6) Petro Maropis says:

I recently saw a TV ad about a glucometer that’s apparently placed on the arm, delivers a blood glucose digital reading in extra large type, and also “talks” to the user by reciting the result. I was not fast enough to jot down the 800 number. Is anyone familiar with this device? Ever tried it, etc.? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

P. Maropis
riospapu@verizon.net

October 29, 2008 at 4:58 pm
(7) John says:

Kaiser prescribed the OneTouch Ultra2 meter. I assume it was a case of “lowest bidder.”
The meter is claimed to be accurate +/- 20% either way. Blood sugar MIGHT be 80 or 100 or 120. I have experienced WIDER differences with quick consecutive readings. Asian-built tire pressure gauges are accurate within a pound or two; why not glucometers?

November 9, 2008 at 1:04 am
(8) JoAnn says:

I have been a diabetic for at least 38 years. I found out at age 17, so most likely was a born diabetic. I am currently using the one touch ultra because the test strips are cheaper than others I used. It is a good little meter but I find it a bit awkward since it is elongated and reads upright in just one direction. I would like to try the one that is “no stick” but have heard they are not real accurate. I stick a lot and my fingers are so sore. But until I find something better the one touch is fine.

April 2, 2009 at 10:17 pm
(9) Glen says:

For less than $10, you can buy a store brand (probably thre Reli On Ultima like mine) that is accurate, long lasting, and has test strips available that are cheaper than the co-pay for the high dollar brands. Wal Mart, Kroger, and several other places offer some version of it. It only takes me 5 seconds to get a reading and it takes very little blood. It does not have frills like being downloadable to your PC or loading up a 17-strip cartridge. It is simple, cheap, and accurate. It will be hard to convince me that I need to spend more money to find out what my blood glucose readings are.

August 28, 2009 at 1:29 pm
(10) Korn says:

my mom’s been using accu-check from almost 1.5 yrs. I want to know if she needs to buy a new one anytime soon or is it good enough for few more yrs. I am afraid that the meter is showing some higher anomalies either because of an old battery or the whole meter. Kindly suggest!
Korn