Diabetes is the kind of disease where it helps to have a friend. It also helps to have access to other people's experiences and coping skills. Both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes can complicate your life. Where can you go when you want friendly, informative, and no-nonsense talk about how to manage your diabetes? Try the internet. Blogging is the newest form of self-expression. Read about how others cope with diabetes everyday.
Here are six diabetes blogs that are worth visiting.
- Managing The Sweetness Within - Lyrehca, is the articulate author of this blog and introduces it with this heading, "Living with type 1 diabetes. Trying to have a baby. Now cautiously dealing with pregnancy after infertility and IVF. What's it like to do all of them right? It's all about managing the sweetness within".
- Diabetes Mine - The mother of all diabetes blogs whose mission statement is "a gold mine of straight talk and encouragement for people living with diabetes".
- Living With Diabetes - The creator of this blog states her blog is about how she "copes with and deals with diabetes on a day to day basis".
- Cyber-Pancreas - A 29 year old husband and dad from Michigan who has had Type 1 diabetes for 7 years.
- Byetta User's Group - This expressive blog, started by Greg77 says, "This blog is about... of, by and for people with Type 2 Diabetes who use the new drug Byetta".
- DIABolic - Rob, a Type 1 diabetic from the age of 3 says, "It's a diabolical disease, but some of us just have to live with it!"
- Con D de Diabetes This blog, from Mexico, is in Spanish and chronicles the thoughts of Jorge, who has had Type 2 for seven years. He wishes to "learn as much as possible" about diabetes, and he shares his knowledge with the world.
There is something for everyone in the diabetes blog community. Grab a cup of coffee, and browse. Stay in your pajamas if you like, and know that you are not alone.
Photo by Steve Woods